Do you pay close attention to the outlets in your home? If not, you could end up with an electrical fire.
Bad outlets pose serious fire hazards, but it’s not always easy to spot them. Most of us don’t give much thought to the electrical wiring in our houses until it stops working. We end up calling an electrician to rectify the situation, but where do bad outlets start?
In this post, we explain what the signs of a bad outlet are. Keep reading to learn more.
Slight Shock When Plugging Something
One of the most common signs of a bad outlet in your home is a slight shock when plugging something into it. If you feel any kind of electric shock, no matter how small, when you plug an appliance into an outlet, it’s time to inspect the outlet further. This could be an indication that the outlet is not properly wired and could be a potential safety hazard.
Check to see if the outlet has any loose wiring or poor insulation that may be causing it to malfunction. If all the wiring is intact, but the outlet still gives off electric shocks, consider replacing the entire outlet. Don’t take these risks lightly.
You should consider outlets that contain discolored plates or outlet covers suspicious. If these discolorations are not caused by dirt, rust, or natural elements, they could be due to an electrical issue.
Discolored outlets can indicate overheating of electrical wiring and should be fixed immediately. So do not put electronic devices in outlets with discoloration as they may cause a potential hazard. Have an electrician from companies like https://white-electric.com/electricians-near-me-argyle-tx/ inspect any outlets with discoloration.
Visible sparks mean that electricity is arcing. And arcing currents are very dangerous as they are capable of causing an electrical fire without warning. The sparks may come from the entire outlet or just from the area around the screws.
To prevent this, it’s a good idea to replace any outlets that are over two decades old. Periodically check all outlets in your home for any signs of sparks. If you are not comfortable replacing the outlet yourself, it is best to contact a qualified home electrician.
A burning smell is one of the most distinct signs of a bad outlet in your house. This usually occurs when there is an issue with wiring or a short circuit in which the wiring is heating up and causing the burning smell.
If you notice any burning smells around your outlets, you should not ignore them. A burning smell is a sure sign that something is wrong and needs to be checked out by an electrician. You should shut off the power to the outlet immediately to prevent any fire hazards from occurring.
You should also not attempt any electrical repairs yourself if you are not qualified or experienced in replacing outlets. The best thing you can do is to hire an electrician to inspect and repair any outlets.
Don’t Ignore the Signs of a Bad Outlet
It is important to be aware of potential electrical problems in your home. If you notice any of these signs of a bad outlet, contact a professional electrician as soon as possible for further assessment and repair.
Don’t take any chances with your safety. Get your home’s electrical wiring and outlets inspected today.
Did you find this article helpful? If so, check out the rest of our site for more.